Fifteen years ago, the City of Bend and its partners conducted the largest conversation in the city’s history and created a focal point for new thinking. The effort produced Bend 2030: Our Community Vision including an action plan to achieve the vision.
Many of the Vision’s biggest ideas identified in 2005-2006, such as a four-year university, a regional bus system, and an enhanced trail network, became realities. Today, working with the City of Bend and our Leadership Alliance, we believe it is time for a Vision update. This inclusive process will reflect a community conversation that speaks to the challenges of the next 30 years in a way that retains the uniqueness of Bend and leverages current and future strategies.
The guiding principles that we want to shape this conversation are:
- forward thinking – exploring emerging demographic, economic, technological and environmental trends
- innovative – using the most up-to-date tools and techniques
- inclusive – engaging residents of all backgrounds and walks of life, including those less inclined or able to participate
- collaborative – involving major public, private and community-based organizations
- strategic – recommending initiatives with the greatest potential for positive, long-term impacts
We currently are calling this initiative Vision 2050 but as we embark on this project the name may change. We plan to launch this project in 2020. We invite you to be a part of this important conversation!